Friday, November 24, 2006

Comparing Messages

The reading this morning for the Disciples devotion was Matthew 6:25-34. This is the Matthew version of the lilies of the field scripture. The Bible I use upstairs for this devotional time is a parallel NIV and Message version, so I read both versions this morning.

NIV: Matthew 5:25-34
The Message: Matthew 5:25-34

I was struck by this comparison. When I read the NIV version, the overall theme of it seemed to be in verse 25: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear." The passage to me seems to be a call to rest from your anxiety. God will be with us. He cares for the lilies and the birds; he will certainly care for you. Verse 34: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." The purpose of the passage (NIV) seemed to be a call to rely on God.

Then I read it in The Message. Verse 25: "If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. " And then verse 34: "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. " The overall theme of this paraphrase seems to be a call to focus on God -- that worry about the inconsequential things in life is a distraction from God.

I'm not saying that either interpretation is wrong -- I think one could make a case for either -- but I am struck by the different result the two versions produced in my head. I wonder if the two interpretations are caused by the choice of words used. In the Message version, words such as fashion, primp and shop are used, which do seem to be distractions from God. In the NIV, the words are more related to clothing and food, which aren't distractions so much as necessities. The NIV seems to be a call to place our legitimate worries in God's care, and to trust him. The Message version sounds more like a call to focus -- to look past the insignificant in life to what is important.

As a sidenote, my favorite line from the passage appears in the NIV (verse 34b).

Each day has enough trouble of its own.

One quick story to go along with this verse. A few weeks ago, we went with JtM and M (plus our families) to Charleston for dinner and the Audio Adrenaline/Mercy Me Concert. A roving magician was entertainment at dinner. He asked me if I could chose, would I want to know in advance the next 24 hours or not. My answer was, and continues to be that I would not want to know the future. I think this verse is the reason. I am designed by God to handle one minute at a time -- this minute that is right in front of me. It is reassuring to me that God understands that this minute -- this day -- has enough trouble of its own. Sometimes I have trouble remembering that.

Image: The centerpiece on our Thanksgiving table -- candles and cranberries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home