Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.

Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn't make him.
We're his people, his well-tended sheep.

Enter with the password: "Thank you!"
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.

For God is sheer beauty,
all-generous in love,
loyal always and ever.

(Psalm 100)

I hope today finds you blessed and joyful, awash in the presence of grace, and able to offer God thanksgiving and gratitude. As I sit here in the quiet, as the day holds its breath, waiting for the busyness to begin, I find that my blessings are too numerous to count, too many to list, and yet I have a need to at least attempt it.

For what am I grateful today?

Husband
Two sons
Mother
Entire family -- blessings without end.
A house to call home.
A home that is bigger than a house.
The ability to feed 12 people.
The joy of gathering together.

Laughter
Tears
Memories of both
Expectations of both
Hands to hold
People to hug
Intimacy

God
And all that it means
To have the presence of God in my life
And in the life of those I love.
Church
The Body of Christ
Children of God
Who are willing to say "yes"
Fellow travelers on this journey
Who travel with me,
And who will hold the hands
Of my children
And travel with them.

Friends
Friends who pray
And who bake cakes.
Girlfriends who meet to talk
And to listen.
Koinoina
Emmaus
Friends at work,
And friends far away,
whose memory is brighter than their presence.
And a husband who is a best friend.
Christian conversation as grace,
Face to face
In email
On walks
At home
And in the building called church.
Communion

Gifts
Innumerable
Teaching
Classes to teach
Affirmation
To give and to receive
Gratitude
The joy of deep gladness
Meeting deep hunger.

Life
Health
Freedom
The journey

It is right, and a good and joyful thing,
Always and everywhere to give thanks to you,
Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

(Word and Table Service I)

Images: Both drawn by J -- The Indian is a self-portrait.

3 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

Amen. God is Good! Happy Thanksgiving.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Thanksgiving poem with a Buechner quote. Nice.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"To have the presence of God in my life and in the life of those I love."

Thank you for this beautiful thought --- a hoped for answer to countless prayers.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home