Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Anger at God

Just a little addendum to today. I read a post by Dave Warnock, who is a Methodist minister in Great Britain. He wrote about anger today. How fragile is your God? Can he handle your anger? It's a good post, but my favorite line is:

The God I worship is real and is not fragile. He will not break no matter what I do, he is my rock and my salvation.

Yes, my anger may be sinful but my God can take it, and it is a bigger sin to imply that he cannot.
He was writing in response to another post, which can be found at this link, written by Adrian Warnock. Adrian is quoting the Desiring God blog when he posts:

Anger at a person always implies strong disapproval. If you are angry at me, you think I have done something I should not have done.

This is why being angry at God is never right. It is wrong - always wrong - to disapprove of God for what he does and permits. "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?" (Genesis 18:25). It is arrogant for finite, sinful creatures to disapprove of God for what he does and permits.

What do you think? Which opinion do you agree with?

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

If we're never angry at God, we've led a sheltered life.

I reached one point a few years ago in which my life would reach a horrendous catastrophe, or not. I depended on God to act decisively. He did. But had he not, I would have cursed his name and never ceased hating him. And looking back, I can still see that reaction as reasonable. Every person has a faith breaking point, even if we're not aware of it.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home