Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Technology

I mentioned a few days ago that we had a meeting at our church about possible technological upgrades to the sanctuary -- installation of projection equipment and screens. Several of those who spoke in favor of the new system discussed how much technology plays a role in the lives of younger people. Some even discussed how children are learning to use PowerPoint in school.

An older member of the congregation asked, "Just what is PowerPoint?"

Sometimes it feels as if we are not even speaking the same language.

Right now I'm sitting on the balcony of our hotel, surfing the internet using my laptop, stealing sneaking onto someone’s wireless signal. The ocean breeze is blowing, the palm trees are swaying, and I’m lovin’ it.

I think back to 14 years ago. S and I were on vacation – no children (can that really be possible?) When I compare the amount of technology that we used on that trip to the amount we are using on this trip – only 14 years later – I find the differences amazing.

  • Fourteen years ago, we would call Huntington on the pay phone across the street from the hotel. We could use our calling card, and not have to pay extra money to call from the room. Today, when I called to check on my mom (she had an injection at the pain clinic today), I picked up my cell phone, which is not much bigger than a deck of cards, hooked up my wireless earpiece, and called. There were no long distance charges at all.
  • Fourteen years ago, I called AAA to arrange for maps so that we could find our way here. Last night, I got online, printed out maps from MapQuest that were customized to our departure and destination addresses.
  • Fourteen years ago, if we wanted music on the beach, we took a radio. Yesterday, my older son, who is turning 13 tomorrow, received an iPod as a birthday present (more about that later).
  • Fourteen years ago, we didn’t own a computer. I used them at work, but mainly with DOS programs. Tonight, here I sit using a laptop, updating an online log (if I can get the hijacked internet access to work).
  • At dinner, S picked up his cellular phone (which is much smarter than mine), read his email, and sent one out to a friend. Fourteen years ago – what’s email?
No doubt, technology has snuck its way into our lives. Our children are even more used to its presence than we are. Even so, the best moment I had today was sitting on the beach after dinner, listening to the surf, and watching the boys play. Nothing high tech about it.

All of these “wonders” are great, and I enjoy them. They are amazing tools for communication.

I do think that we need to install the projection system in the sanctuary. I think, if used right, it will be an amazing tool for our church to use to reach people with the word of God – expressing that word in any language available to us is almost a responsibility. The technology isn’t the message, but it is another cart to use to carry it where it needs to go.

IPod story: Poor G – he loaded up his new Ipod last night – something like 350 songs. When we got here today, he hooked it up to my laptop to charge it. My laptop isn’t the computer he used to load it last night, so when he activated my (never used before) iTunes software, the software automatically synced to the iPod, and erased every song stored on it. Fresh new birthday present, week of vacation, no music. Talk about bummed. Super bummed. Sometimes we just get covered in techno-snot.

He’s loading up some music now, but it’s Mom and Dad’s music. Not really what he was hoping to listen to this week, but it will have to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home