Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Later

Tomorrow we are leaving to go on vacation. I shouldn't be sitting here writing at 11:14pm. I have nothing packed. The car is not loaded. We're leaving in 5 hours and 45 minutes, and I hope during that time to get some sleep.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was called for jury duty. First time ever, and I've been voting since I was 18. I had several things already planned for these two months, not the least of which was this vacation, so I wrote a long letter to the judge, asking to be excused. I told him that I would be glad to do jury duty later, but just not right now. He excused me, probably because he got tired of reading my very long letter (one page, but it was one full page).

Do we do that in our service to God? Do we write (or think) very long letters of excuses, even though we know our calling? "Not now, God, I really need to do this other thing." "But, God, I don't want to do that; I'm busy. I'll do it later."

I do it. I do it all the time. God doesn't give up on us, but I bet He does wish we would quit looking for excuses.

I'm not sure about the internet connection in the hotel room, so I may be posting this week, or not, but I'll enjoy the sun, sand and surf for all of us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...let your yes be yes and your no be no..." James 5:1

Except with judges, then let your "no" be a long persuasive letter. Do you know what judges call long persuasive letters?

"Briefs."

I hope you, S, and family have a great vacation (and a great internet connection!)

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home