Sunday, June 04, 2006

A Son Confirmed

Today my baby was confirmed as a member of the church.

I remember the day he was baptised.
He wore all white -- little pants, onesie white shirt,
A double-breasted white sweater.
Nine months old.
He was only just beginning to balance on his feet.
We stood him in a chair in the parlor to take his picture.
In the photo, you can see his father's hands,
held out to catch him,
in case he falls.

On that day,
the congregation made promises.
To proclaim the Good News,
To live according to the example of Christ.
To surround our son
with love and forgiveness,
to help him grow in his service to others,
to pray for him,
so that he would be a true disciple,
and would walk in the way
that leads to life.

Today he knelt before God,
and this same congregation,
and made his own promises.
To put his whole trust in the grace of God
to serve him as Lord, in union with the church,
and to remain a faithful member of Christ's Holy Church.

Today our son showed the fruit
of the promises made by this congregation,
his church family.
Today he knelt before God and proclaimed,
"I am yours."
Today he stood before God and said,
"I believe."

When we returned to our pew,
I handed him the attendance pad,
and watched as he wrote in his name,
and checked the box that said, "member."

I am filled with gratitude,
thankful to this church family
that has nurtured my child,
and taught him the word of God.

They have shown him what it means
to support each other,
They have taught him that it is OK
to talk about God,
to ask questions,
and to value each other.
They have taught him Bible stories,
as they lived out their faith.
The have listened to him sing about God,
and their lives sang a story of love.

They are fulfilling their promises.
They stand behind him,
hands outstretched,
ready to catch him if he falls.

How could my soul fail to be filled with gratitude,
thanksgiving overflowing?
Our church shared communion together.
My eyes were filled with tears,
and my throat was closed.
I couldn't recite the words.
But in my silence I knew
that I didn't need to.
I knew that my church family
was saying them for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home