Thursday, June 15, 2006

Church Signs

We're home -- the car is unpacked, but the suitcases aren't. Blah.

Anyway, here are some interesting church signs I saw this week and on the way home:
  • Hanging on a Lutheran church in North Myrtle Beach was a banner that said, "Come and See." I liked that one. It said to me, "Leave your preconceptions behind and just come on in."
  • One church had a sign out front that said, "We have room for one more family -- yours." Not my favorite. In fact, I didn't like it at all. Only room for one more family? I know that they don't mean this literally, but it just sounds exclusive to me.
  • Speaking of exclusive, a sign on a Baptist church on the way home read, "Men of God wanted. Apply inside." Only men? Can I come if I bring sandwiches to feed the Men of God? What if I bring the butter?
  • At a crossroads on the way home were two United Methodist signs -- one pointing each way -- Faith UM church one mile to the right and Hope UMC three miles to the left (I made up the names). Dueling UM churches.
And then there was the field that had both donkeys and horses. The donkeys were in the middle of the field, and the horses were in the corner, off to themselves, as if they were not going to associate with those icky donkeys.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Speaking of exclusive, a sign on a Baptist church on the way home read, "Men of God wanted. Apply inside." Only men? Can I come if I bring sandwiches to feed the Men of God? What if I bring the butter?

Maybe because it's so hard to get men to come to church these days.

---
I wonder if we will reach the point one day when the clergy is considered a properly female profession, like teaching, nursing, or librarianship -- that men who enter it are oddities.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home