Friday, January 27, 2006

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Blogging...

Excuse me while I take just a moment to ponder the strangeness of a conversation that I just had.

Someone just called me and said, when I answered the phone, “Oh, I was hoping to get your voice mail, but since I got you instead…” and then went on to tell me why he called.

I know this man, and he didn’t say this to insult me or anything, but I’m still struck by how strange it sounds.

And this is the second time he’s said it. Maybe I need to stop answering the phone.

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as much as the dog does. Christopher Morley

A man's conversation is the mirror of his thoughts.
Chinese Proverb

Conversation is a game of circles.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saepe satius fuit dissimulare quam ulcisci. (Latin. Translates as, "It is often better not to see an insult than to avenge it." Seneca (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)

2 Comments:

Blogger see-through faith said...

laughing. Maybe he meant expecting - but I think there's some truth in what he said. Often it's easier to dash off an email or even hand written note, respond to a post, send an sms or leave a message rather than actually speaking to someone and engaging in dialogue. It's a sad reflection of the times we live in actually

10:52 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Knowing him, while I know he didn't mean to insult me, he did mean "hoping." You're right about the means of communication we use now that allow us contact without contact. Maybe he was only saying what some of us want to say but don't. He was hoping to leave me a message and not have to say it in person. Poor guy. I don't bite -- hopefully, I'm a nice person.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home