Sunday, January 29, 2006

Traveler Unknown


A week ago we sang a hymn in church that I had never heard before. I love it when this happens. I cannot sing, but I do sing. I consider it a challenge to be able to sing (sort of) the tune of a new hymn by the time we reach the end of the last verse.

This particular hymn, however, I wish I had not been new to me. I really like it, and hope that we sing it again and again. It was Come, O Thou Traveler Unknown, written by the prolific Charles Wesley, based on Gen. 32:24-32. It was written in 1742. The tune is a traditional Scottish melody (which is probably one of the aspects of the hymn that grabbed my attention.) Note: click on the Scottish melody link above to hear the tune.

Come, O thou Traveler unknown,
whom still I hold, but cannot see!
My company before is gone,
and I am left alone with thee.
With thee all night I mean to stay,
and wrestle till the break of day;
with thee all night I mean to stay,
and wrestle till the break of day.


Apparently, two weeks after his brother's death, John was teaching this hymn at Bolton, but broke down when he came to the lines "My company before is gone, and I am left alone with thee." Dr. Issac Watts said that "that single poem, Wrestling Jacob, as worth all the verse he himself had written." (Source: UM Hymnal, page 387; 1989).


I have always liked the image in Genesis 32, of Jacob wrestling with God. It means to me that God cares enough about us to take the time to "wrestle" with us. Haven't you ever felt that way? I have. Wrestling with God. I want my way; he has other ideas, and he will continue to wrestle with me until he has his way.

I need not tell thee who I am,
my misery and sin declare;
thyself hast called me by my name,
look on thy hands and read it there.
But who, I ask thee, who art thou?
Tell me thy name, and tell me now.
But who, I ask thee, who art thou?
Tell me thy name, and tell me now.


God knows us. He knows our name, our misery and our sin. We are the ones who are searching, trying to learn about God. Trying to discover his name.

To me, to all, thy mercies move;
thy nature and thy name is Love.


Photo: Me, taken in backyard this afternoon. Great sky.

1 Comments:

Blogger see-through faith said...

Great photo. And great hymn though I prefer more modern worship songs myself. The Wesley brothers were a dynamic duo and their legacy great

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home