Look Now
Amy-Jill Levine, in the book Genesis: A Beginner's Guide to the Beginning, quotes Isaiah in her introduction:
How you are fallen from heaven,
O Morning Star, son of Dawn?
How you are cut down to the ground,
you who laid the nations low!
You said to yourself,
'I will ascend to heave;
I will raise my throne above the stars of God...
I will ascend to the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.'
But you are brought down to Shel,
to the depths of the Pit.
Those who see you will stare at you
and ponder over you:
'Is this the man who made the earth tremble...'
(Isaiah 14:12-16)
She shares that this passage satirizes the Babylonian imperial goals.
It's a timeless passage, though, isn't it? It is (to me) a portrait of a person or a nation that strives to rise to the level of god, and then is brought down, so that others stare and ponder.
I can think of nations that step on others to rise high. I can think of leaders who neglect their duties to care for those they lead in order to rise up. I can think of ourselves, who try to lift ourselves up as god-like instead of following God.
And I can picture, at the end, someone looking, and saying, "Is this the one who made the earth tremble? Look at him now.
Labels: Levine Genesis, Old Testament, OT Prophesy


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home