Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Online Communion

Yesterday was Sunday (when I’m writing this).  I was on vacation, sitting on the beach.  I realized it was the time my church worships together, so I turned on the live stream (on my phone) to participate.  It was a communion day, and I was reminded of the (sometimes heated) discussions during the pandemic concerning “online communion.”  This is not something we practice in our Annual Conference.  As I watched and listened to communion in a worshipful attitude, I realized the online experience of communion is not “all or nothing.”  To be certain, I did not participate in the sacrament, but there are ways to worship through online communion that are not the sacrament itself.

I can confess my sins, and experience forgiveness.

Free us for joyful obedience

I can remember and be thankful for the existence and acts of God,  remembering that I am created by a grace-filled God in God’s image, and that God still walks with us today.

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
Heaven and earth are full of your glory,
Hosanna in the highest.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
Hosanna in the highest.

I am reminded again of the acts of Christ in my life, in creating and sustaining of the church, and in the transformation of the world.  I can re-envision Jesus in the upper room, with the bread and wine.

Christ has died; Christ is risen; Christ will come again.

As the Spirit covers my church family gathered together, I can know that the Spirit covers me, too, even though I am hundreds of miles away.  I can pray the Lord’s Prayer with those I love, using the words taught by Christ 1000s of years ago.

Amen.

As the bread is broken and dipped into the cup, I can see each person participating, and pray for them.  I can surround my church family in prayer as they are offered and receive the sacrament.  I can pray for this church, and the church universal.

The body of Christ, given for you. Amen.
The blood of Christ, given for you.  Amen.

I thank God for online worship for when I cannot be physically present with the congregation.  I am thankful for the realization that online communion, though not a sacrament for me, 100s of miles away, is still a means of grace.

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home