Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Communion Inclusion

Who should receive Communion?  Should there be exclusions, exceptions? What is your church's tradition on the matter? Your own opinion?
 
I very much appreciated the video’s explanation regarding “unworthiness:” this sacrament was created for the unworthy. For us to assume we need to be worthy in order to participate, I think, creates a situation where we are relying on our own righteousness, and not God’s grace. 
 
Beyond our own response to the invitation to communion, we also need to consider the questions of exclusions and exceptions. I think one of the most wonderful aspects of our practice of communion is that it is an “open table.” All are invited to participate. This is my church’s tradition – at each communion, the open table invitation is issued.  This is so ingrained in my understanding of the Eucharist that I react with resentment when the invitation is not open to all. I was visiting the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Sacramento. I sat in the sanctuary and experienced the beauty and peace of the place, but my response was one of anger that I would not be included in the Blessed Sacrament in this place. I don’t want anyone to feel that way. 

 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

We attended my brother in laws Lutheran church and had to sign a paper declare a list of beliefs before being allowed to receive communion.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home