Monday, August 07, 2023

Science and Faith

Has science affected how we approach the topic of God? How so, or if not, why not?
 
I think for some, science is seen as a threat to faith. For example, if science hypothesizes that the world was not created in seven days, and I believe that the world was literally created in a week, then science is a threat to faith. If this is true, then I can’t admit that any science might contain truth.
 
As a person who was trained as a scientist, I see science as a descriptor of the work of God. I don’t need to protect my faith from science – I can see the work of God in the theories of science.  My faith tells me of God, and of God’s character.  Science is more of a technical study.  For instance, when comparing the stories in Genesis and the theory of evolution, I can hear the truth in the Bible that God created the world and God declared it to be good. In science, I might see some of the how, but the Genesis truth gives it meaning.
 
Frederick Buechner's said that comparing words of science and faith is like comparing the work of a podiatrist to that of a poet. A podiatrist would describe fallen arches, and the poet would describe how a woman walks in beauty. Both are true - but which you choose depends on the truth you are looking for.

Course: Methodist Identity: Beliefs

 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

You have described my life as a Christian and as a person of science - A retired nurse. The number and the length of a day is insignificant - it all comes from God - including the ongoing science based knowledge.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home