Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Winning the Lottery

I'm reading a book called Imagining Abundance: Fundraising, Philanthropy, and a Spiritual Call to Service by Kerry Alys Robinson. 

She relates a story about her sister-in-law, who passes a billboard each day.  The billboard indicates the current value of the lottery if you were to win it.  The two of them have a discussion about what the sister-in-law would do with the winnings if they were hers.

This prompts Robinson to write, "'Winning the lottery' implies a random, undeserved gift of good fortune awarded by chance.  hasn't each of us already won?"

Think of the ways you have already won the lottery. Your family, your faith, your work, your talents, your character. As I thought of this, my list of "lottery winnings" seems endless. That doesn't mean my life is perfect - there are always worries and the mistakes I make - but I have more undeserved gifts than I "can throw a stick at." My life is blessed. I am grateful.

Think about this for a bit. Instead of thinking about what you feel like you are missing or the problems in your life, spend some time remembering all the ways you have received undeserved gifts - both large and small.  Spend some time in gratitude.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home