Wednesday, March 01, 2023

What are we looking for?

I preached on January 15.  For a couple of weeks before the worship service, I was thinking about the sermon.  Lectionary for that week was John 1:29-42.  I thought about that scripture a lot, but I was never able to say, “I have the sermon.”  I preached instead on John 2:1-11, which is the passage where Jesus turned water into wine.


However, there was a phrase in the John 1 passage that felt like it could be a kernel of a sermon.  It’s in verse 38.  Some of the John the Baptist’s disciples are following Jesus, and he turns, and says, "What are you looking for?"

What are you looking for?  John the Baptist’s disciples, who become Jesus’ disciples, say they are looking for a rabbi, a teacher.  What are we looking for?

I still don’t have the sermon from that, but I think it could be one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home