Monday, February 07, 2022

Integrity

From Church Leadership by Lovett Weems: "No matter what we say, people only pay close attention to what we do.  Inconsistency is devastating.

Year ago, and I don't know who said it, I heard that honesty is telling people what you have done and integrity is doing what you have told people you will do.  They are both a type of honesty, don't you think?  Truthfulness in words and actions.

Weems talks about two kinds of integrity.  There is personal integrity; our trustworthiness as a person.  "Brilliance is not required for leadership, but integrity is."  Do we follow through with what we say we will do?  Do we tell the truth? Do we accept fault for our mistakes? When we say we love and care for someone, do our actions live out our words, or are we inauthentic?  People think qualifications and experience are important for leadership, and no doubt they are, but without character and integrity, a leader will fail. 

As I write that, I can think of people I have seen who do not possess an admirable character and who do not exhibit integrity, and yet have risen to high positions of leadership.  Why is that?  Is it because we (as the follower) can't see or admit to the lack of integrity? Is it because power can be used to keep people in control? I don't know, but I do believe that excellent leadership in God's kingdom grows out of trustworthiness and integrity.

Weems also talks about organizational integrity.  Does our organization - whether that is a church, a charity, a school, a government - live into what its purpose is? Does it do what it states is its mission? Is it honest in its transactions? For example, if I give a gift to an organization for a specific purpose, and the gift is used for something else, I won't find that organization to be trustworthy, and I will stop giving gifts.  Will I trust (and participate in) an organization that I don't trust?  No, probably not.

Can we as a church - the body of Christ - say that God loves all people, and that we bring the light of God to the world, when what we bring is judgment and hate?  Integrity is doing what you have said you will do.

 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home