Monday, May 24, 2021

Vaccines

Do I write very often about current events?  I don't think I do, although I do think about them.  

Have you thought much about your opportunity to be vaccinated against COVID-19?

I was so grateful when my mother, who is 83, was able to call and make an appointment for her first shot.  The appointment for her second vaccine was on a day that was snowy and icy.  I was grateful I was able to take the time and drive her to her appointment (she doesn't drive in bad weather).  I remember the relief that she was able to quickly get the vaccine once it was available for her age group.  All through the pandemic I had been worried I would somehow bring the virus into her home, and that she would get sick from something I had done. 

I waited patiently - and it was patiently - for my turn to be vaccinated.  On a day in March an email went out to our Sunday school list, suggesting that people call the health department - there were available appointments for anyone over 55 (which I am).  Steve and I both called - I was able to get through, and to get appointments for both of us.  In 25 minutes from the end of the call.  At the mall.  Which is 25 minutes (or so) from our house.  I texted him as I rushed around the house. He was at his office, and was able to jump in the car and drive to the mall.  I did the same, and we met there. 

Getting our first vaccination was such a huge relief.  I was giddy.  Four weeks later, on the dot, we went back for our second shot. I am grateful to say I am "fully vaccinated."

I remember as a young child a family that lived two doors from us.  Their daughter had had polio, and had permanent issues because of it.  How grateful I am that I never had to worry about that with our two boys.  I think we forget how lucky we are to live in a time when there ARE vaccines.  How blessed we are by the difference they can make in our lives.

Am I grateful that I am vaccinated against COVID-19?  Immeasurably.  Not just because of the protection it gives me against the disease.  But more so because of the protection it gives those around me from the disease.  How would I feel if someone I know got sick because I passed the virus onto them?  If my mom had?  If a co-worker had? If anyone I know had suffered through COVID-19 because of me?

If you haven't been vaccinated, please do today and do it.  How will you feel if your granddaughter gets sick because you chose not to be vaccinated? If she has lasting, long term effects because of a choice you have made?  How will you feel if your father gets sick and - heaven forbid - dies, because of a choice you have made?  I don't say this to frighten you into vaccinated, but so that you will see the impacts of your choice.

I hope your choice is the protection science can offer us.  It's my choice.  And I'm grateful for it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home