Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Book Review: Worshiping with United Methodists

 Information about the book

Worshiping with United Methodists (revised edition) by Hoyt L. Hickman. Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2007.  (Cokesbury Link)

Summary

From the Cokesbury website: "Hoyt Hickman explains the basic pattern of United Methodist worship within the broader context of Christian worship. "  The book explains basic resources for planning and leading worship, gives the basic pattern of United Methodist worship and its origins, and provides resources for worship leaders to plan and implement effective worship.

Impressions

I enjoyed reading this book.  I was especially impressed with the explanation of how the basic pattern of Christian worship  - word and table - can be seen in the encounter with Christ on the walk to Emmaus (in Luke 24).  As a person who enjoys history, I liked the chapter that walked us through the evolution of the pattern of worship in the Christian church - through Protestantism, and into Methodism.  The author makes an important point all through the book of the balance between authentic worship and worship that provides for encounter in the church's context.

My understanding of worship planning was greatly enhanced by the book.  Chapters 5-8 take each element of the Basic Pattern of Worship and provide helpful details that both inspired me and informed me.  I imagine I will be referring to this book in the future as I plan worship and will use it as a resource in our Conference CLM Course.

Posts about book

Posts about the book are are here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home