Monday, May 27, 2019

Freedom at a Cost


On the way out of town this weekend, I saw a church sign in front of a church.  It read, "Freedom is never free."  I understand why it was there - it was Memorial Day weekend, and the sign was there to honor those who have fought for, had their lives changed, and died for the freedom our country is defined by.  And I honor that.

However, the sign made me wonder - is it true for all freedom? Is no freedom free of charge? 

Christ died to free of from our sins.  That was a definite cost to Christ, and I get that grace is not cheap, but does saying, "freedom is never free" support the idea that grace has an exchange rate? That, yes, God gives us grace, but only if.....

We live in a culture that believes that nothing is free.  Everything has a price.  Kindness deserves payback. Favors are debts. We live in a culture where fairness is the golden rule.  

But grace is not fair. Freedom in Christ is not a debt to repay. It has been given to us at great cost to Christ, but at no cost to us.  Free. No strings. No exchange necessary. 

We can't believe it because we have never seen anything like it. But faith is not exchange-based. Love is a gift to all - to me, to you, to all.

I think expecting there to be a cost cheapens it.
 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home