Thursday, March 09, 2017

Mystery

I'm reading today in Wishful Thinking as Buechner speaks about mysteries. There are some mysteries which you can think through to a solution - a murder mystery novel, for example. There are other mysteries which you can't think your way through - you just have to live them.

"To say that God is a mystery is to say that you can never nail him down. Even on Christ the nails proved ultimately ineffective."

I love Bible Study. I love it because I love to know more. See more. Learn more. I want to understand. And there is nothing wrong with this. In fact, I think it is an excellent thing to do.

But - even with that, we can never let ourselves think that we have God nailed down. Figured out. God is a mystery that we cannot understand. God used Christ to help reveal himself to us - and knowing Christ certainly expands our understanding of God - but it doesn't complete it.


None of us should fool ourselves into thinking we have God nailed down. Figured out. And that we know all about him. It's just not true - and is in fact impossible for us.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home