Monday, January 30, 2017

Kingship

I remember, years ago, when Steve and I flew to Portugal - the first leg of our flight arrived in Paris, and I watched steadily out the window of the plane, hoping to see the Eiffel Tower, just to say I had.  Of course, I didn't see it, but I remember the anticipation.

Years ago, before 9/11, you could go past security in an airport without a boarding pass, and you could greet your loved one who was arriving on a plane right at the gate.  Remember that? I remember standing at the window of the airport, watching for the plane to arrive.  Waiting in anticipation for a glimpse of its arrival.

Last month, our younger son marched with the Marshall University Marching Band in Rome on New Year's Day. That's half a world away, but through the magic of the internet, and Facebook Live, we were able to see the parade, and I watched in great anticipation, hoping to catch a view of Josh playing his trumpet in Rome.  I did - for just a moment, and it was thrilling.


Jesus says the Kingdom of God is like finding a pearl of great price, or a treasure in a field.  It's like catching a glimpse of the kingship of God (to paraphrase Beuchner).  In the broken world we live in, the kingdom is now, and the kingdom is not yet, but we catch wonderful, powerful glimpses of God's kingship, and we are in awe.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home