Thursday, May 12, 2016

Vulnerability

A quote from Brene Brown:  Vulnerability is not winning or losing; it's having the courage to show up and be seen when we have no control over the outcome.

Have you ever thought of that? I think we most often consider vulnerability as something that is thrust upon us.  We are vulnerable because we are defenseless, we are victims, we are not strong enough or not smart enough, so we are vulnerable.  We are vulnerable to frightening outcomes, like loss or pain or defeat.

Have you ever considered that vulnerability is something that we choose? We choose to be vulnerable when we give up control.  We choose to embrace vulnerability when we step forward even though we know we do not have control of the situation, and never did.

Think of times when you were vulnerable by choice. Having children makes us vulnerable to their pain, their loss, their hurt. Being married - loving someone that much - makes us vulnerable to pain. Stepping out of our own plans and saying yes to God makes us vulnerable. When I accepted the position I now hold a The Foundation, I stepped into something entirely new. I was very vulnerable to failure. Eight years later (today), I know more, I'm better at what I do than I was when I started, and I pray my work is fruitful. I never would have been able to say that if I hadn't said yes, first.

Our role model is Christ. He was incarnated as human, and allowed the vulnerability of crucifixion.


Vulnerability can be a choice. It is the courage to show up.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home