Monday, November 18, 2013

Prophecy

Years ago, I was talking to someone in the lab where I worked.  We were discussing faith, and I said something about modern day prophets.  She said, taken aback, "You believe there can be prophets today?  There are no prophets today; the age of prophecy has come to a close."

I can understand that her faith tells her that, and I can respect that, but I disagree with it.

Think of a friend you have.  How well do you know that friend?  Can you predict what that friend will do?  Is that friend's opinion and words important enough to you that you listen and remember what he/she tells you?  If asked, could you repeat it?  Could you tell someone what a friend will do?

Can we be that close to God?  Can we know God so well -- or well enough -- that we can predict what God might do?  Can we listen well enough for God to understand what God is telling us?  Can we witness to that, though our faith?  Can we be recipients of grace enough to have that kind of relationship and witness?

I think we can.  And I think that kind of witness is prophecy.

Have you ever been praying, and known that your prayer was unnecessary, because God had already done, or decided to do, what you were asking?  Have you ever been encouraging someone and instead of saying, "I hope God will be with you on this journey," you felt compelled to say, "I know God will be with you on this journey?"  Prophecy can provide comfort in a time of trial.

I pray we can all get that close to God, and I know God will come that close to us.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home