Thursday, November 14, 2013

Expectations

One of my favorite images
from vacation this year.
Because I am a nerd (and I am happy to be one), I was reading a book about typography called Thinking with Type  by Ellen Lupton.  I do some design work with my job, and I thought I needed to learn more about typography.  While reading, I found this paragraph:
The impatience of the digital reader arises from culture, not from the essential character of display technologies.  Users of websites have different expectations than users of print.  They expect to feel "productive," not contemplative.  They expect to be in search mode, not processing mode.  Users also expect to be disappointed, distracted and delayed by false leads.  The cultural habits of the the screen are driving changes in design for print, while at the same time affirming print's role as a place where extended reading can still occur.
So, why would I bring this up?  I think it has implications for church leaders.

  1. What does it mean for a church that those who use the internet often are in "search" mode?  I think that's good news.  I think if people are willing to search and seek, then that creates a good habit for seekers in the church.  We have to adapt to that, and offer those who are seeking an outlet to do that.
  2. What does it mean for churches who are trying to reach the unchurched?  I think we have to be adaptive, the way modern media is adaptive.  We need to know our "fish" and look for them with the right "nets."
  3. People want to feel productive.  That's wonderful news.  The Church can offer so many ways to be productive in service.  I think people want to make  a difference, and we need to offer ways to help them make a difference.
  4. People still see print as the place for extended reading.  Wouldn't this be considered good news for those who are in Christian Education?  People are still willing to read for extended periods of time.  It's not their attention span that has changed.

I think my take home message from this quote, when I thought about it in light of the Church, is that we need to stop trying to do what we have always done, and adapt what we do to reach people.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home