Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Genesis 40

I'm still working my way through Genesis. The last chapter I read was Chapter 40. In this chapter, Joseph is in prison. He is told to serve a royal baker and cupholder who are in prison with him.

I noticed a few things about this passage that I don't remember from before. Joseph does more than just bring them food and do "servant" types of things. He shows concern for them -- he asks them why they look so sad. That seemed remarkable to me.

He volunteers to interpret their dreams, but he doesn't claim this is something he can do on his own. He gives credit to God for his gift. And it is this gift that will lead his to places of influence in Egypt, rather than political power.

Lots of ways one could contrast Joseph with his father.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home