Thursday, May 19, 2011

A dinner of Vegetables

Today I read Genesis 30.  This is a chapter with two parts -- one about Jacob's two wives and the other about Jacob's plan to leave his father-in-law and return home.
Deceit and jealousy run through Jacob's story.  He and his father-in-law make a deal with the livestock, and both of them strive to work their ways around it.  Laban had deceived Jacob with his daughters; Jacob had deceived his father.  This is not a pleasant household.

The wives battle each other to see who can give Jacob more children.  I wonder if either of them knows Jacob's love and is secure in it -- not even Rachel.

I also read Proverbs 15:17 -- Better is a dinner of vegetables where love is than a fatted ox and hatred with it.  Without the Genesis story, I might have missed the point of the Proverb, but I see it now!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home