Sunday, September 19, 2010

Renewal of our Minds

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2

This was the scriptural basis of the sermon today.

It's a great scripture. Offer everything you are -- yourself as a living sacrifice to God.

What does it mean to be transformed by the renewing of your mind?

There are times -- most of the time, actually -- when I yearn for Bible study. I crave it, and when I am able to participate in it, I bask in it. I soak it in, like a sponge does water. It changes how I view the world; it changes my faith and my formation in it. It's important.

I don't believe, though, that transformation of the mind is solely an intellectual pursuit. I wonder if transformation of the mind involves allowing God to change how we see the world, how we interpret what is happening around us. I wonder if perhaps renewal of our minds means that we set aside our preconceptions and allow God to reorder our view -- how our mind works.

God transforms. I think it is necessary for us to place ourselves in an accepting attitude, but we can't do the transformation. Study will help -- it will open our minds to God's work, but the change itself is God's work in us.

We offer our bodies -- and our minds -- to God, as a living sacrifice.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home