Thursday, June 03, 2010

Day 2 -- At Sea -- Grayness

The first full day of the Alaskan cruise was spent at sea. I hadn't yet adjusted to the time change, so I was up pretty early (and it was already daylight).

I sat on the balcony of our stateroom, which was on the back of the ship, and read my Disciple lesson for the week. It was, to say the least, peaceful.

As we cruised, I noticed how monochrome everything was. I played with the camera, seeing if I could get good, interesting images without much color. The skills required to find beauty in something I wouldn't normally think was beautiful (I like color) are the same skills necessary to find God, sometimes:
  • I had to pay attention. Even if monochrome can be boring, it can be beautiful if you just watch. In order to find God in the ordinary (and he is there!) you have to pay attention. You have to set aside your pre-judgment, and have an open mind to the possibility of something you do not expect.
  • Light can change anything. Photography is recording of light -- photographs change when you use the light to your advantage. God is light. He can change anything, and seeking him out is to have the willingness to believe that his light is transformational.
  • Finding beauty in something that is not obviously beautiful requires patience. Beauty may not be readily obvious. Breathe. Wait. Watch. Wait for God in his own time.
  • Diligence isn't the same as patience. Stubbornness. See the image of the lighthouse? Notice that the light is shining? Know how many pictures I had to take to get one with the light burning? Many. I was stubborn, and wouldn't stop until I got the picture. Sometimes, I think stubborn faith is important in order to find God.
God is there. Watch. Have Faith. Wait. Persevere.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home