Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Psalm Quilt

This week in Disciple, as our readings assignments, we read several Psalms. As I read them through the week, I started writing down a verse or two from each one -- it might be a verse that spoke of the theme of the Psalm, or that had beautiful imagery, or that just appealed to me.

Once I had finished reading for the week, I typed all of the verses into Word, and them moved them around, changing their order. I didn't eliminate any of them or change them. I didn't try to fix them to make them work better together; I just changed their order. (For that reason, they don't always flow well from one to the other. )

The number at the end of each stanza is the Psalm chapter and verse.

O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
For his steadfast love endures forever. (136:1)

Unless the Lord builds the house,
Those who build it labor in vain
Unless the Lord guards the city
The guard keeps watch in vain (127:1)

Let the favor of the Lord God be upon us,
And prosper for us the work of our hands --
O prosper the work of our hands (90:17)

The eyes of all look to you
And you give them food in due season
You open your hand
Satisfying the desire of every living thing. (145:15-16)

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? (116:12)

We will not hide them from their children’
We will tell the coming generation
The glorious deeds of the Lord and his might
And the wonders that he has done (78:4)

How very good and pleasant it is
When kindred live together in unity. (133:1)

When you send forth your spirit, they are created
And you renew the face of the ground (104:30)

Do not forsake me, O Lord,
O my God, do not be far from me;
Make haste to help me;
O Lord, my salvation (38:21-22)

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me,
From the words of my groaning? (22:1)

How can we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land? (137:4)

Nevertheless I am continually with you
You hold my right hand (73:22)

As a deer longs for flowing streams,
So my soul longs for you, O God. (42:1)

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
And in his word I hope (130:5)

O send out your light and your truth
Let them lead me;
Let them bring me to your holy hill
And to your dwelling (43:3)

Hide your face from my sins
And blot out my iniquities
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And put a new and right spirit with me. (51:9-10)

By awesome deeds you answer us with deliverance
O God of our salvation
You are the hope of all the ends of the earth
And of the farthest sea (65:5)

For you have delivered my soul from death,
My eyes from tears
My feet from stumbling (116:8)

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
O Lord me God, you are very great (104:1)

For the Lord is good
His steadfast love endures forever
And his faithfulness to all generations (100:5)

Even the darkness is not dark to you;
The night is as bright as day,
For darkness is alight to you (139:12)

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
My whole life long (23:6)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home