Sunday, September 06, 2009

Agape of Cards

My mother-in-law, who passed away a couple of weeks ago, used to send cards. I may have mentioned that before. If you knew Judy, and if she knew your birthday, she sent you a card.

She would send thank you cards that mentioned everything about a gift you had given her, and why it was special. She would even thank you for the card that came with the gift.

She may have never called it a ministry, but it was.

I was reading the United Methodist Reporter today. Sue Banker, a member of First United Methodist Church in Ankeny, Iowa, recently wrote a book called "Mailbox Ministry." She talks about how a church can start a card ministry.

Recently, a United Methodist in Charleston donated a piece of framed art to the Conference's office suite. It is a Celtic knot design, made of strips of get well cards she received when she was ill. The cards are cut into strips and woven, and then trimmed to make the design. She has left pieces of verses visible in the art work, and she can point out which card is from our bishop.

She has taken the agape of cards she received, and, using her gifts, has woven and cut them into a beautiful piece of art. Beautiful agape made into beautiful art.

We may not always display the cards we receive, but they are agape, and they are beautiful to behold.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Cards are love especially those that come from unexpected sources.

We have a logos youth club program at church I have eaten dinner with six or seven children every wednesday for more than ten years. Last year I turned fifty and one of the women had all the adults and kids sign a birthday card. Probably fifty or so people signed, that card touched me more than any card I can ever remember getting.

If I can be touched I can also touch, something for me to remember.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home