Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Talents and Relationship

One of the lectionary readings for this week is Matthew 25:14-30 -- the Parable of the Talents. Read this passage:

Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, 'Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed; so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' Verses 24-25
I've never really liked this parable because of that line. I don't like the image of the Master -- if it is meant to reflect the nature of God, then it is contrary to my image of him.

Today, reading it, I wondered if part of the point is that the man who received one talent doesn't know his Master like he thinks he does. I wonder if there is anything in this parable to suggest that those who are in relationship with God will have a better understanding of him. I wonder if that better understanding will lead to the courage to use one's talents -- to put them into action rather than hiding them. I wonder if an accurate image of God will lead us to trust and to the willingness to understand what God has given us is abundance, rather than scarcity. I wonder if there is anything in this parable to suggest that it is only in giving away what we have been given that we will come to find the joy of its return to us.

Just me, thinking. Perhaps I'm just reading into the passage what I want to see.

Image: Leaf in the courtyard at St. Marks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home