Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Moments of Closeness

I'm flipping through my calendar, thinking about 2007. I thought it might be interesting (to me) to make a list of moments in the past year when God seemed closer -- when the space between us was thinner than usual.

  • Breakfast with the Wise Men -- This was a new program in our church that I worked on with the Nurture Committee back in January. We raised toys for Ebeneezer Outreach and funds for the Ministers' wives Love Fund. On that day, God seemed close, as our church brought the verse in James concerning widows and orphans to life.
  • Friends of ours and we took two trips -- just the four of us -- last year. Once in February and again in November. The trips were fun, full of laughter, but also, there has always been a sense that this friendship is a gift from God.
  • At the end of February, Steve and I helped to chaperone our youth group's 30 Hour Famine. There is a worship service at the end of Friday, when the group stands in silence for 5 minutes, blowing out a candles in memory of the lives of children who are lost in that time. Candles and silence -- a time with God.
  • We worked on our church's 40 Hour prayer vigil throughout Lent. There were several times during those weeks when God felt close.
  • In April, we helped with JesusQuest 07. There were many moments close to God, but I especially remember the early service, with Portal singing "unplugged."
  • In May, we took the Youth to Spring Heights for a retreat. Again -- many God moments, but I especially remember standing in the field, at the very end, praying.
  • Annual Conference is also full of God moments -- in sermons, but especially, for me, in music.
  • We took the youth to Ichthus in June. I remember Chris Tomlin singing Amazing Grace.
  • At the beach, swinging in a hammock, listening to music.
  • SPLAT -- Who couldn't find God at SPLAT, but I particularly saw him late at night, when we had special devotional times with our own youth group.
  • I planned and preached at a Visioning service at the end of July. God walked with me through that.
  • I was involved in planning two services in October -- Children's Sabbath and Laity Sunday. It was amazing to watch God walk through those services.
  • At the end of October, MT and I were part of the Emmaus walk team. I especially remember knowing God was present right before the talk, sitting on porch steps, waiting to be prayed in, and then again, praying with friends before the talk. Then, there is something about giving the talk which brings me close to God.
  • The whole experience of teaching on Wednesday nights felt close to God for me.

I know that there were more -- perhaps some even bigger than these, but these particular ones come to mind looking at my calendar. Hopefully, I will have a list like this at the end of this year.

Image: This one is the apple tree in our backyard, with a cardinal, taken by Steve.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home