Monday, September 03, 2007

Logos -- Philemon 1-21

One of the lectionary readings for this week is Philemon 1-21. In this letter, Paul is interceding on behalf of a slave named Onesimus, asking Philemon to receive him back, not as a slave, but as a brother in Christ.

Verses 15-19:

Perhaps this is the reason he was separated from you for a while, so that you might have him back forever, no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a beloved brother--especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has wronged you in any way, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand: I will repay it. I say nothing about your owing me even your own self.

Who in our lives is God asking us to receive, not in a spirit of slavery, but as a brother? Who would we chose to keep as a slave to our anger with them? Who do we need to forgive so that we set them free? So that we set ourselves free?

"If he has wronged you in any way, or owes you anything, charge that to my account." Jesus has already paid the price for our sin. That also means that he has paid the price for our brothers' and sisters' sins, doesn't it? He has set them free from slavery, and us, and he's asking us to do the same.

It's hard to do, isn't it? At times I find it impossible. I struggle with it, and I know it is not easy. I do think it is what God would have us to do.

I am sending him, that is, my own heart, back to you


Image: Our feeder was goldfinch central today.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home