Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Remembering the Sabbath

What is a sabbath? What does it mean for us to remember the sabbath and keep it holy? Do you do that?

Think about the Luke 13 passage that I discussed on Monday. Jesus heals on the Sabbath. He takes a women who is "broken" and heals her, returning her to wholeness.

I was reading the RevGalBlogPal's Tuesday lectionary musings today. One of the commenters listed the things that she "does" on the Sabbath. She admitted that this wasn't resting, but that it made her feel whole.

Do we use sabbath time to make us feel whole? What kinds of things bring you wholeness? To be perfectly honest, sometimes it's a nap. Other times, it's hard work, but the sense at the end of it is wholeness.

Worship? Does that bring you wholeness? Times of prayer? Reading? My needs are often different, and different practices can be my sabbath.

What about working on Sunday? I don't mean at my job, but what about those of of who volunteer on Sundays at church? During the school year, I am on the youth leader team at our church. That's far from resting, but it does bring me wholeness. I am also an adult Sunday school teacher -- there are times when that brings me wholeness.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes the best thing to do is to rest -- just rest. Sometimes that is what is needed to bring wholeness. I read in the Ortberg's Closer book that getting enough sleep can even be a spiritual discipline. Maybe that's one that I need to practice.

My point in this rambling is that not-working is not the only way to keep the Sabbath holy. Sometimes it can be doing something which makes us whole. Or at least a little closer to it.

Images: Pictures of weeds. I have no idea what they are. They were near the VA parking lot, but I really like these pictures.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home