Friday, May 11, 2007

Does he forgive EVERYTHING?

This week’s session in class was based on Chapter 14 of Yancey’s Grace book -- “Grace Abuse.” I didn’t think that this would be a topic which would generate very much discussion, but apparently it flies in the face of what are taught to believe.

The question is this: If forgiveness is always available – if God’s grace is just ours for the asking, then what is to keep us from sinning? If the fear of an unforgiving God is removed, then why “be good?” If the law is not all-important, then where is the moral code? Does God forgive EVERYTHING?

Here is my theory. In fact, here is my faith. Jesus died on the cross so that I (and you and that guy over there) could be reconciled to God. That means that all sin is forgiven. The “little ones” that we don’t even realize that we commit and the “big ones” that we know we should never even consider. All of them. He did it – sent his son – because he loves us. He loves us with an overwhelming passion that we cannot even comprehend. He chases us through the muck and mire of our sin because he cannot – CANNOT – not do it.

If this is my faith, then how do I answer the questions I’ve listed above?

Is forgiveness always available? Yes. Not only is it always available, it has already been granted to us. God’s forgiveness of us is not based on anything that we do. Yes, I know, that is going to cause some people heartburn, but just as I can forgive the person who hurts me without them asking to be forgiven or without them showing any remorse, God can, too. His forgiveness of me doesn’t depend on me, the one who has wronged him. At Jesus’ death, my sins – the ones I’ve committed, and the ones that I am yet to commit, have been forgiven.

Does God forgive ANYTHING? EVERYTHING? Yes. We go around saying that sin is sin – that there are no gradients of sin. If this is true, and I think it is, then God doesn’t forgive in “gradients.” If he did, then I guarantee, that no matter how wonderful we think we are, we would be unforgiven.

Does God forgive deliberate sin? This is a question that came up in class on Wednesday. Does God forgive me if I look at the law, see it written, “Do not steal,” and, fully knowing it is wrong, steal anyway? Can I – will I – be forgiven? Yes. Even deliberate sin will be forgiven. In fact, the deliberate decision to sin is a sin in and of itself, and it will also be forgiven.

I’ve only just begun – there are many more questions which will be addressed in the coming days. What about repentance? Are we forgiven even if we do not ask to be? If any sin can be and will be forgiven, then why shouldn’t we sin? What motivates us to obey the law? What role does the law play in Christianity?

Image: Geese and goslings at Bob Evans this morning before breakfast. I won't even go into the problems I had getting a picture of them, but suffice it to say, this is the best one that I have.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home