Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Big Deal

We have a movie premier happening in our town this evening. The movie We Are Marshall is premiering at our very own Keith Albee -- stars in attendance.

I was downtown after work this evening to pick up a box at our church. All of the nearby streets were closed. Lots of couples were walking to the next avenue, dressed in their gowns and tuxedos. People were lined up on the corners near the theater. It is a Big Deal.

As I drove away from church, I was struck by the contrast. Here I was, going about my regular life, my routine business, as were most of the people around me. Real life continued, while the Big Deal was happening a block away.

It occurred to me that the same thing happened on the night Jesus was born, and on the days following. The Big Deal was happening -- the Biggest Deal in human history. The innkeeper sent the soon to be parents to a stable for the birth of the son of God; the innkeeper went on with his daily routine.

Some people noticed. The shepherds listened to the angels, and left their flocks in the fields, traveling to Bethlehem to see the Christ child. Life, interrupted.

The wise men left what we would consider to be Iraq and traveled across harsh territory to a tiny village. They did it because they believed in a prophecy and in the prophetic nature of a star. Life, interrupted.

What do we do in life during this Christmas season? I was emailing a friend today; we were talking about how busy this season is. We are both in a state of "when will all of this get done?" I was telling her that I have had a great Advent -- worship, communion, fellowship, friendship -- all of it combining to lift me up this season -- but that nothing else had been accomplished yet. No tree. No gifts. She was wise enough to point out to me that what had made my Advent so great so far was what it is all about.

My friend, M, was right. It's life, interrupted. Stopping to see the Big Deal. Stepping out of the rush and routine to recognize the Christ in our lives.

Note: Along the same lines, check out the JM Advent devotion for today. It came to mind as I was thinking about this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home