Sunday, January 15, 2006

Justice and Peace


Becky's Sunday school lesson today used the verse on the sign to the left. I like the image, and thought that I would compare some translations. (in these I will be including all of verse 10):

NIV: Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other.

NRSV: Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will kiss each other.

New Living: Unfailing love and truth have met together. Righteousness and peace have kissed.

KJV: Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

The Message: Love and Truth meet in the street, Right Living and Whole Living embrace and kiss!

I think it is a good message to ponder for Martin Luther King, Jr day. To quote Dr. King, "True peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice." Or, to quote Harrison Ford (and who wouldn't like to quote Harrison Ford?) in the movie Air Force One, "Peace isn't merely the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.." (Thanks to S for the quote.)

One more quote that I found this evening as I searched the web, "If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." Moshe Dayan (1915-1981)

Lot's of web sites I feel the need to complement or mention after writing this post:
Like the church sign? Make your own at Church Sign Generator.
No, I didn't look up all the bible verses. I used Bible Gateway and Devotions.net (for the NRSV)
Here are a whole list (18) of "peace" quotes if you want more: The Quotation Page

Oh, and G did liturgize this morning (meaning, he was the liturgist), and I think he did a wonderful job. He even tucked in his shirt (which is a big deal). I am certainly thankful to be a member of a church that gives our (in the general sense) children and youth opportunities such as this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home