Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Grace at a Conference


Last fall, our Foundation recently held an Academy of Faith and Generosity.  From 1:00 on Monday through 11:00 on Wednesday, those attending heard talks from various experts in their fields about creating a culture of generosity, managing their endowments, and encouraging legacy giving. My colleague and I presented the Legacy Giving session. 


After talking for about 10 minutes, I could feel my throat start to close up and my voice became horse.  I hadn’t planned ahead and put a bottle of water near the podium. It got worse, so I asked “Could someone get me some water?” Getting into the situation was my own fault - I speak pretty often and know the value of having water nearby, but I just hadn’t planned ahead.

When I asked, five people jumped up and went into action.  More than was needed. One person put a couple of cough drops on the podium for me, someone else arrived with a glass of water.  I was so impressed by how quickly people helped me.

And then, all the rest of the academy, while other speakers were presenting, someone would walk up to the podium and leave a new bottle of water on the table next to it.  Without being asked.  Just to be helpful and kind.

This is grace, I think.  It’s an abundance of help for someone who asked for it, even when their situation is their own fault, and it’s the quiet help you don’t even asked for, but appreciate.  It isn’t what we deserve - it isn’t what we earn - it’s just helping other people out of kindness.

Thanks be to God for it. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home