Monday, October 14, 2024

Is God Limited?

 Is God in any way limited? Were there any limitations upon God as creation occurred?

I don’t believe God is limited by anything external to God except that I think God has limits that God has created. When God created the universe, for example, God limited himself to use the physical processes to create and maintain the world. God grants freedom to creation and to creatures (such as us); that freedom, created by God, limits what God will do. I assume there are exceptions, when God chooses, for miracles.

______

In my Religion and Science class, we view a video lecture in two parts, and then we respond to four questions for each part of the video lecture. We are then asked to post the answers to two questions in each section for Discussion with the class.  I always answer all four questions on my own, and then select two of them to post.  I did post this one.  One of the responses and my response to the question are posted below.

Question: So, would you say that God is self-limiting, but is not limited by any external sources? Could God do evil? Could one say "Yes, but God always chooses not to."

My Answer: I think if we say God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient, then we have to say that God limits God's-self.  I think, as I type this, without God's self limiting choices, we would be living in chaos.  For example (and this is going to be a bad example), if Tom's neighbor is killed, and Tom becomes the suspect, someone might give a character witness that Tom "could never have done that."  When in actuality, Tom could have made the decision to murder his neighbor, but Tom's character would never have allowed it. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home