Monday, February 05, 2024

Book Review: Preparing for Christmas


Information about the book:  Richard Rohr, O.F.M.  Preparing for Christmas: Daily Meditations for Advent.  Franciscan Media. Cincinnati, Ohio. 2008.

Summary: (From Amazon) “Advent is not about a sentimental waiting for the Baby Jesus,” Richard Rohr asserts. Advent is a time to focus our expectations and anticipation on “the adult Christ, the Cosmic Christ,” who challenges us to empty ourselves, to lose ourselves, to surrender.

Whether you are seeking a moment of tranquility in the midst of a busy holiday season or searching for a deeper connection with your faith, Preparing of Christmas: Daily Mediations for Advent is the perfect compassion. Renowned author and spiritual teacher Richard Rohr provides profound insights and gentle guidance to inspire and uplift as you reflect on the birth of Jesus and the significance of this sacred time.

Impressions: It was the first Monday of Advent, and I was sitting at my desk.  I picked up the devotional book I was reading and realized I wanted something more focused on Advent for the season.  I browsed Amazon, and found this Richard Rohr book.  I downloaded it my kindle, and have been reading one day’s reading each day.  Rohr is profound.  Each day’s reading opened up revelations that could be thought about all day.

Each reading is short, but packed with wisdom.  The book is designed so that it would work for any arrangement of Advent, with extra days in the back to fill in for longer advents. 

This is a great advent devotional book - I would highly recommend it.

Posts about this book will be tagged with Rohr Preparing.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home