Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Context



As I've mentioned before, I am reading Short Stories by Jesus, written by Amy-Jill Levine.  I did read the entire Introduction, although I was impatientto get to the chapters.  I'm glad I did.  Here are three great quotes about context:
  • "...a text without a context is just a pretext for making it say anything one wants."
  • "In order better to hear the parables in their original contexts and so to determine what is normal and what is absurd, what is conventional and what is unexpected, we need to do the history."
  • "If we get the context wrong, we'll get Jesus wrong as well.  The parables are open-ended in that interpretation will take pace in every act of reading, but they are also historicallly specific.  When the historical context goes missing or we get it wrong, the parables become open to problematic and sometimes abusive readings."
Reading scripture carries responsibility with it, especially if we are teaching or preaching.  We have to take that seriously and do our homework.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home