Monday, September 09, 2019

Ruth


In Sunday school a few weeks ago, the teacher read the book of Ruth to us.  It was interesting to hear the whole book read in one sitting.  We didn't (as a consequence of reading the entire book) have much time left to discuss the book; it did bring to mind questions about theme.

A few things I noticed:
  1. The book begins with a family fleeing to another country - one in which they are probably not welcome - to escape a famine.  They are refugees.  I wonder how much they were welcomed in their new home.  And when Ruth and Naomi come back to Naomi's home, Ruth is a foreigner.  How is she welcomed?  I believe this book was written after the Exile, when the prophets were telling the returning Israelites that they should abandon their non-Hebrew spouses and find new wives from the chosen people.  This story is counter to that idea - on purpose, I believe.  What does it say to us, today? How do we treat the refugee and foreigner? How does God tell us to treat them? How would we react to being in Ruth's place? Naomi's place? Boaz's place?
  2. I wonder if this is also a story of loyalty? Ruth's loyalty to her mother-in-law is very obvious.  Also, though, there is Boaz's loyalty.  He is faithful to his beliefs by trying to follow the law and care for the relatives of his relatives.  He does more than that - he cares for the widows.  He allows Ruth to glean - more even than he has to.  He protects her. He will find a way for both of the women to find permanent care - either through the actions of another relative or his own.
  3. It was interesting to me that I had not noticed that Boaz's goal is to make sure Naomi has an heir.  If you read the book, you will see it repeated several times.  He will do that by marrying her daughter-in-law and having children who will be heirs to her deceased son, and thus to her.
  4. One of the discussion questions regarding arranged marriage.  Is this an arranged marriage? I'm not sure, and I keep wondering about that.  I suppose in some ways it is. Naomi instructs Ruth how to proceed so that Boaz will marry her. To me, though, it's not the main theme.  It's just part of the culture of the time.
It's an interesting book.  I think multiple readings would result in continued revelation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home