Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Looking into the Eyes of the Beast


Rather than me posting an image today, go look at this image search on google:

I was reading from Rachel Held Evans' Inspired this morning.  In the chapter entitled "Beasts," she begins by telling the story of Bree Newsome.  Do you remember the shooting in the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, SC that killed nine people?  Ten days after that, Bree Newsome climbed the flagpole in front of the state capitol building and removed the Confederate flag in an act of protest.  Evans ends the story with this sentence, which inspires me today, "On a muggy June morning in South Carolina, a young black woman named Bree Newsome scaled the thirty-foot flagpole outside the state's capitol building, looked straight into the eyes of the Beast, and said, 'Not today.'"

As she was handcuffed, she said, "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"  This is Psalm 27:1.

So I ask you today. How do you need to be Bree Newsome today? Against what Beast do you need to stand?  Where do you need God to be your light and salvation so that you will not fear, but will be courageous and take a stand?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home