Monday, July 30, 2018

Getting There


Sitting in a movie theater the other day, I saw an interview with Pooh Bear, from the movie Christopher Robin.  Yes, an interview with Pooh Bear.  He said, "I always get to where I’m going by walking away from where I’ve been."  It reminded me of a Bear Bryant quote - those phrases that are so obvious that they are of course true, and seem silly to say?  Know what I mean? 

As I thought about it more, I thought the idea that in order to get where we are going, we have to walk away from where we have been is profound wisdom that we often forget.  Especially in the Church.  Where do we want to go? We want to reach more and new people.  We want to be relevant. We want to do the will of God.  

Are we doing that now? Maybe some, but not enough.

How do we get to where we are called to go? Walk away from where we are.

What?  

We don't want to do that. We don't want to let go of what we have been doing. We don't want to walk away from where we are.  And sometimes we just won't.  So we don't get anywhere.

And for believers in a God who is a God of change, a God of transformation, we are incredibly stuck where we are, afraid of change.  

So we don't get where we are going.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home