Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Summons

Have you heard or sung the song The Summons?

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don’t know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown,
will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Read more about the hymn, John Bell (who wrote the lyrics), and the Iona Community in Scotland at this link. I found it all very interesting.

According to the material on the Discipleship website: 
The Summons” of Christ is to a radical Christianity. We are challenged to “leave yourself behind” and to “risk the hostile stare” (stanza two), “set the prisoner free” and “kiss the leper clean” (stanza three), and “use the faith you’ve found to reshape the world around” (stanza four).
A few weeks ago at church, Terry preached a sermon based on Mark 1:14-20.  This is the call of Jesus to Simon and Andrew --> "Follow me and I will make you fish for people."  A summons if we ever heard one.  In the sermon, she said, "We live in a time of decision. The Summons is on us fresh and new every day. Every day there is a new, urgent opportunity to transform the world."

We don't always think of call as something that arrives on our doorstep every day, do we? I love the idea (and am entirely frightened by it) that there is a new call of us every day - a call that is urgent and that is an opportunity to transform the world.


What call is on your heart today?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bthomas said...

Appreciate the post. Googled the song. Very good.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home