Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Shadow

 The word for today is shadow.

The first picture is the one that came to mind when I thought about shadow.  I found the second one as I looked for the first, and both of them seemed appropriate -- so two pictures for today.

As I was thinking about shadows this morning, it occurred to me that we only have shadows because we have light.  Without light, we only have darkness.  No shadows.

The problem is that sometimes we rest in the shadows instead of in the light.  There is this placed between right and wrong that sometimes feels "right enough," so we rationalize our choices to stay in the shadow. 

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think the "right" choice is always the one that is on the "right" side of the rules.  There are gray areas, and sometimes that is the place where grace is found.

What I mean, though, is that shadowy area where we think we can justify ourselves.  We say things like, "It's OK if I don't forgive that person; he'll never change."  Or maybe, "What I'm doing isn't stealing; I've earned what I'm taking."  Or the ever popular, "Half a brownie has no calories."

These shadowy places invite us to stay.  The good news is that God is with us, in the light, and God's light will allow us to see the shadows -- if we will look.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

I like the thought that there are no shadows if there is no light.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home