Saturday, July 21, 2012

Red Caps

I'm still here! For the past week, I have been one of the coordinator of local volunteers for the Northeastern Jurisdictional Conference.

It was a great experience.  I was able to sit in on a few interviews of episcopal candidates, worship, business session, and the announcement of the assignment of Bishops to episcopal areas.

The vision of the Chairperson of the Local Arrangements Committee is that wherever a delegate looked, he or she would see a hospitality volunteer.  We were able to make that vision a reality.

We had volunteers station at the hotel, the Civic Center and on the street when the delegates moved from one venue to the other.  The volunteers started at 6:30 AM and we didn't stop until 10:30PM, each day. 

I've worked lots of Emmaus Walks, providing agape care for pilgrims, and this experience felt much like that.  As I worked, what I thought would be "overkill" became an expression of the love of Christ.  I hope the delegates realized that as well.

The Red Caps (we all wore red caps) were a visible representation of radical hospitality.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home