Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Let Go


Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni!" (which means Teacher).  Jesus said to her, "Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"  John 20:16-17

Do not hold on to me.  Jesus asks Mary to not cling to him.  Why would that be?  I doubt he really thought she could prevent his Ascension. 

Perhaps, instead, he thought that her dependance on him could prevent her fulfilling her potential.  It was time for her to let go of him and move onto what was next -- the ministry for which he had prepared her.

Do we do that?  Do we cling to the past that we loved, the person who is important to us so strongly that we can't move forward to do what we are called to do?

As parents, we need to let go.  As children of God, we need to let go -- not of God, but of what would prevent us from following him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home