Monday, December 08, 2008

Expectations

The fifth of nine lesson in the Nine Lessons and Carols is Luke 1:26-35, 38.

Timing is everything.
In the right time,
In God's time,
In the sixth month,
Gabriel came to visit a young girl.

To say the visit was unexpected
would be underestimation of the truth.
Who expects a visit from an angel?
Mary was just beginning her life.
Engaged to Joseph,
her expectations were marriage, children,
Nurturing her family,
Scraping out a living,
Growing old.
Cared for by her family,
she would die.
Instead, an angel visited.

Her plans were interrupted.
Her life was transformed
by an angel's visit.

He told her startling news.
She had found favor with God.
Who expects that kind of news?
She would bear a son, named Jesus.
He would be Great,
Descendant of David, king like David.
King unlike David.
Reigning forever.
Of his kingdom there would be no end.

The news was impossible.
And yet Gabriel was not done.

She would be visited by the Holy Spirit.
God would overshadow her.
Her child would be holy.
Son of God.
She was told of her cousin,
Who was expecting the impossible.
Planning for the unexpected.
Nothing is impossible with God.
A child born to a virgin.
A child born to a barren woman.

And then, what might be the most surprising of all.
I would never expect it from myself.
Mary says, "Here am I, the servant of the Lord.
Let it be with me according to your word."

Here am I.
Let it be as you say.
Not as I expected.
Not as I planned.
Not the way that is safe and easy.
Let it be as you say.
Here am I.
Send me.

Image: Animal Kingdom

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home