Monday, November 12, 2007

Prosperity Gospel?

Have you ever head someone wonder if they should tithe on their gross income or their net income? Someone once told me that if I wanted gross blessings from God, that I needed to tithe on my gross income.

Last night, I was trying to get to sleep, flipping through different channels on the television, when I ran across a televangelist named Don Stewart. He was telling people that they could request a "prayer handkerchief." I gather that he had prayed over these handkerchiefs, and that they would enable miracle healing and prosperity. Apparently he has anointed this piece of green cloth.

The program also talked about a "vow of tithing." If you want an increase in your income, you need to tithe 10% of what you want God to give to you. For instance, for a $10,000 increase in your income, you need to send Mr. Steward $1000. If $5000 is enough for you, then send him $500.

I was amazed that anyone could preach such a message. I had heard of the prosperity gospel, but I had never seen it "on the hoof."

God has not promised us money. God has not promised us prosperity. There is nothing that we can do to increase or decrease God's grace in our lives. I think it is contrary to every teaching of God that grace equals monetary prosperity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home